The Falconry Academy is a specialised Bird of Prey experience centre and training hub, situated within the grounds of the Avon Riding Centre, Bristol. The Centre is based on private land, with the Academy only accessible by booking an appointment in advance. We hold several open days throughout the year, where for a small fee you can watch the birds fly, see them up close and ask us any questions.
Amazing birds, vast and brilliant site, and the staff themselves are so friendly that apprehension was banished right away. We learned a lot – not just about the birds but about general falconry, as well as the roots of casual, every-day terms we throw around.
The experience was one to remember, and it made a wonderfully unique wedding gift. We both really really really really hope to come back soon!
Our Bird of Prey experiences make the most of the extensive grounds, using the features of the land to accentuate each bird’s unique flying style. The beautiful woodland walks are the perfect setting to fly our stunning Harris’ Hawks, where you can truly admire their ability to fly between the twisting branches almost effortlessly. If you are lucky enough to see a Falcon fly on your experience day, we will take you to the sweeping open fields at the back of the Centre, featuring magnificent views across the countryside and over the estuary. Here you will get a true sense of the speed and phenomenal power behind these birds when they are in hunting mode.
All of the land that we use is also shared by the Riding Centre and their horses, so we recommend that you bring walking boots or wellies when you join us for an experience day, as some areas can become quite muddy. We do not fly birds in any fields containing horses for health and safety reasons.
Training & Tuition
The Falconry Academy cabin features a heated classroom, break room and mews area. This is where we hold our training sessions and Raptor Awards lessons. The classroom features a custom made work bench for equipment making and there are plenty of plug sockets for laptops, cameras and other devices. The break room includes tea and coffee making facilities and the Riding Centre has a small cafe, however this is not always open so we do recommend bringing a packed lunch (unless you are a lucky VIP experience day holder). There are toilets and hot running water in the Riding Centre, which are always accessible.
The Falconry Academy also features a secure outdoor weathering area for our birds, enabling students to safely carry out the practical elements of the courses.
Interested to start training with us? Find out more about Raptor Awards and our services here >>
The Avon Riding Centre & Where to Find Us
- The Avon Riding Centre for the Disabled is a registered charity and in partnership with Bristol Horse Riding provide access to horse riding, training and competitions for disabled and non-disabled riders. The BHS accredited centre features an Olympic sized indoor arena and over 100 acres of land.
- For more information on the Avon Riding Centre for the Disabled and their work, please click here.
- For more information on Bristol Horse Riding and their work, please click here.
- The Centre is located on Kings Weston Road, Henbury, just opposite the Blaise Castle Estate and only 20 minutes from the centre of Bristol.
- The closest bus routes are numbers 3, 4 and 18 (see the TravelWest website for times)
Avon Riding Centre,
Kings Weston Road,